Advancement in Technologies :
We are presently living in the 21st century. Human beings are evolving day by day. The technologies we use today are not a consequence of a one-time effort but have taken many years to develop. So we can say that technology is also evolving and technological advancement is the discovery of knowledge that gives a better understanding of these things.
For advancements, we need innovations i.e. new ideas or creative thoughts that meet up with the needs of the present times.
During the past centuries, we have seen a major development in technology. The discovery of steam and electricity in the 19th century was a major breakthrough at that time. As we move ahead, the 20th century is considered as the most remarkable in terms of new scientific discoveries and advancements. The invention of the radio, antibiotics, television, the airplane, nuclear energy, and many more. Many of these inventions are still used in our daily lives.
Many new technologies have come over the past years but some of them play a vital role.
Some of them are listed below.
● Transplants: It is a process in which an organ is removed from one body and placed in the recipient’s body to replace damaged or missing parts. This process dates back in 1954 when a kidney transplant was performed and it was successful. To date, this technique is helpful in giving a new heart, kidney, liver, and saving many lives.
● Mobile phones and the Internet: In today’s world, everybody has a mobile phone. After the invention of the telephone, it occurred to the inventors to make it portable. Then came the mobile phones we use every day. And after the Internet, the digital media business started expanding and it came as a boom in the technological advancements we see today. Earlier internet only worked on computers but combining both mobile and internet, it can be said as the eighth wonder of the world.
● Space Flights: Many people have been sent into space but the most remembered one was the Moon landing in 1969. Back in those days humans only imagined going to the other planets but today due to the development of enabling technologies, there is a hope that we can see a Mars colony in the near future. Satellites are now easily sent into orbits of not just Earth but other planets. Many countries have also sent rovers to Mars to inspect the planet for habitable purposes.
● Genetic Engineering: Genetic comes from the word ‘gene’ which is a unit of heredity that is transferred from a parent to its babies. In 1953, James Watson and Francis Crick explained the structure of DNA molecules that exists in the form of the three-dimensional double helix. Genetic engineering has applications in medicine, agriculture, research and is used in many industries. Processed foods contain genetically modified bacteria that can prevent defects and diseases.
Other than these some modern or we can say futuristic developments are being carried forward.
● Machine Learning: Machine learning or we could say Artificial Intelligence (AI) is one of the most life-changing techs of our time. It is the ability of a system to learn from the data provided and take actions that maximize the chances of successfully completing a task. Self-driven cars, advanced search engines, online assistants (such as Siri, Alexa), photograph recognition, etc. are many such examples that we use on a daily basis.
5G data networks
● 5G data networks: The next generation of mobile internet connectivity is going to provide us with super-fast download and upload speeds. With this speed, it will not only give us the ability to stream movies or music, but mobile networks will also become a more reliable source as compared to wired networks. During the company’s 43rd annual general meeting, Reliance Group chairman Mr. Mukesh Ambani announced the launch of 5G networks in India. This means that with more affordable data plans and improved coverage area, everybody can access the fun.
● Personalized medicines: Today technology is changing healthcare at an extraordinary rate. The ability to obtain data from wearable devices such as smartwatches has given us the potential to predict and treat health issues beforehand.
Doctors are prescribing medicines based on the data provided which gives a more personalized approach towards patient’s health.
● Extended Reality: It is a term that refers to all the real and virtual combined interfaces with human-machine interactions generated by computer technology. It comes with a more interactive approach of Virtual Reality (VR) which provides a fully digital experience where a person can enter a computer-generated world using headphones that takes you away from the real world. Users can interact with digital objects placed in the real world like the game Pokemon Go. These technologies have been there for a few years now but only being used in the world of entertainment and gaming. In the upcoming years, Virtual and Augmented Reality will become extremely useful for training and simulation as well as providing new ways to interact with customers.
Lockdown and Technologies
During the COVID-19 pandemic, many technologies are playing a crucial role in keeping societies functional in the times of lockdowns and quarantines. Here are some of them that are helping us to function flexibly.
Online Shopping and Robot Deliveries
● Online Shopping and Robot Deliveries: The percentage of people shopping online before the pandemic was very less as compared to now. To take precautions and maintain social distancing, it has become a necessary issue. This needs to be supported by an effective logistics system. Since person delivery is not virus-proof, many delivery and food companies have started investing money in robots and drones for contactless and safe deliveries.
● Digital Payments: As cash might carry the virus, nowadays stores have started contactless digital payments either in the form of cards or electronic money transfer. It enables people to make online purchases and payments.
● Remote Work: Many companies have asked their employees to work from home. This has enabled technologies such as virtual private networks (VPNs), virtual meetings, cloud technology that enable a person to appear before a virtual screen to preserve the privacy of their homes. In addition to this, remote work also saves travel time.
● Distance Learning: Near about every country has implemented lockdowns which resulted in the closing of schools and colleges, impacting billions of students. Many educational institutions have started online classes to ensure education is not being disrupted with the pleasure of staying at home.
● Online Entertainment: Due to the quarantines, person to person interaction is very less. This has brought people more close to online platforms. Online streaming of concerts, virtual tours of museums is gaining popularity around the world. As cinema halls are closed, movies are being released online. There has also been an increase in online gaming traffic since the outbreak.
COVID-19 has shown us the importance of technologies that allows businesses and life to continuing as usual. For a post-pandemic world it is necessary to build infrastructures that stay current in the latest technologies and would be beneficial for any country to remain competitive. For better results of technologies, it is necessary for people to have a comprehensive approach towards these advancements.
Written By Abdus Samad